« Ihalar » is a magnificent area, lined with superb labourdine** houses dating from the XVIIth and XVIIIth centuries.
A real haven of happiness in a totally unspoilt village.
Sare is classified as one of the most beautiful villages in France, nestling on the Spanish border. It is a traditional Basque village at the foot of the mountain passes, between the sky and the sea, with the ocean just a short 20-minute drive away.
Places to visit :
- The Sare caves : www.grottesdesare.fr
- The traditional “Gateau Basque” museum : www.legateaubasque.com
- Ortillopitz the 1660 Basque house in Sare : www.ortillopitz.com
- Larrun and its mountain train : www.rhune.com
- Dantxaria : Spanish ventas (grocery store found on the French/Spanish border with competitively priced goods)
- Urdax, Zugaramurdi ; small, picturesque village in the Spanish Basque country
- Walking and hiking : Site de l’office de tourisme de Sare
**traditional whitewashed Basque houses with decorative woodwork painted in Basque red or green